Samba4 provision error with latest OpenLDAP - lt_dlopenext failed

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Dec 7 20:33:25 MST 2010

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 19:22 -0600, Joe Comeaux wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Indexer <indexer at internode.on.net> wrote:
> >> Attached is output from all commands run during compilation /
> >> installation of OpenLDAP and Samba4 as per
> >> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/LDAP_Backend/OpenLDAP
> > Why are you using CVS versions of openldap?
> > The wiki states
> > "This guide presumes you are running OpenLDAP CVS HEAD from after 22 April 2010 (or a release after that date)"
>
> I was just following the instructions on the web site, I misunderstood
> what was meant by CVS HEAD. Will attempt to download release 2.4.23 in
> my next attempt.

The install you showed in your first mail looked OK to me.  Please
continue to use that.

> > Again, make sure you enable the deref and rdnval overlays.
>
> I think I misunderstand exactly what is meant by "enable the deref and
> rdnval overlays".  I assume this is something that is built from
> OpenLDAP source, and running configure script with
> --enable-overlays=mod --enable-modules handles that.
> After make // make install rndval.so.0.0.0 lives in
> /usr/local/libexec/openldap along with symlinks for rdnval.so and
> rdnval.so.0, the rdnval.a and rdnval.la also exist. As for deref, I
> get deref.la, deref-2-devel.so.0.0.0 along with symlinks for deref.so
> and deref-2-devel.so.0.

That's good.

> >> backend_startup_one: starting "cn=config"
> >> ldif_read_file: no entry file
> >> "/usr/local/samba/private/ldap/slapd.d/cn=config.ldif"
> >> send_ldap_result: conn=-1 op=0 p=0
> >> slapd destroy: freeing system resources.
> >> slapd stopped.
>
> > This certainly looks like a slapd error, rather than a samba4 one. Can you please add to your slapd.d/cn=config.ldif , found inside yoru samba4 dirs,
> > olcLogLevel: 256
> > Then in syslog add
> > !slapd
> > *.*                             /var/log/slapd.log
> > Alternatively, run slapd from the command line, with slapd -d 256 -F /usr/local/samba/private/ldap/slapd.d -h ldap:/// ldapi://usr/local/samba/private/ldap/ldapi
> > This should post a log of why slapd wont start.
> >
> > Again, i would advise using 2.4.23 rather than CVS ldap now.
> It's clear that the provision script is not making it past the
> connection to slapd, BUT I think a key element here is the fact that
> no configuration files are being created for slapd to start with.

OK.

> You
> reference adding some ldap logging to my .ldif file, but my
> /usr/local/samba/priate/ldap/slapd.d/ directory is completely empty.
> So if my guess is correct, the provision script generates some ldap
> files to kick off slapd with, and that's the step that it's not
> getting past. A couple of confusing pieces to the puzzle for me are :
> 1) first time provision script is run, it complains about rdnval //
> missing file, second time it runs, it stops complaining about rdnval
> and just complains about missing .ldifs
> 2) I have an OS that I got this working on friday night, but am now
> unable to reproduce the results
> -The only difference I can tell between what I got working friday

I think the difference is the existence of the empty directory.  I'm
pushing some code to my autobuild shortly that will wipe it out,
regardless, and ensure that slapd -Ttest always runs.  I think this may
be the core of you reproducibility problems.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.