cifs client timeouts and hard/soft mounts

Christopher R. Hertel crh at samba.org
Mon Dec 6 10:01:12 MST 2010

Steve,

I've done a lot of consulting work for companies that create this sort of
proxy.  Companies like Peribit (now part of Juniper), FineGround (now part
of Cisco), and Certeon (now part of history, I think).

You are correct.  A WAN accelerator that does proxy caching might very well
respond to an SMB Echo and various meta-data requests without actually
sending those requests to the "real" server.  If the link is down, or if the
real server is down, the proxy may still respond to some SMB messages.

To some extent, that is a problem inherent in the use of WAN accleration
systems.

Question (for which I do not have an answer):  How much work do you want to
do to make their intentionally broken model work?

WAN accelerators are actually cool technology.  I like them, but I also know
(and most of the companies that make them know) that there are inherent
problems when proxying SMB servers.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org