samba4 keytab management

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Sun Aug 29 13:30:11 MDT 2010

  On 29/08/2010 19:28, srikumar108 at aol.com wrote:
> Hi Matthieu,
>
> First of all it was not my intention to be rude, and I do appreciate
> your help. I tried the steps you outlined. I did the following: on the
> host running samba4:
>
> # kinit administrator
>
> # net user ssh
>
> # net password set ssh <longstring>
>
> # ldbedit -H sam.ldb cn=ssh [ and add 'serviceprincipalname:
> host/<fqdn>@REALM' ]
>
> # ktpass --out /etc/krb5.keytab --princ host/<fqdn>@REALM --pass
> <longstring>
I'm not 100% sure that you need to specify the @REALM but it shouldn't
annoy.

> The command finishes without error and a keytab with 'host/xyz at REALM'
> is created. But, when I try to ssh to the samba4 box, I get prompted
> for password,, and even typing the correct password does not let me
> in. I do get a ticket on the host that looks like 'host/xyz at REALM' but
> it does no good. The error message from sshd is "Wrong principal". In
> fact until I remove the keytab, no form of authentication works, not
> even local login!
Well there is a simple way to check that your keytab is correct:

kinit -k -t the-keytab ssh  (you need to recreate a keytab for the
ssh at REALM principal).

If klist gives you a ticket then it means that it's ok if not then well
you'll have to search ... starting samba with -d 5 will gives you some
clues about which principal openssh is trying to validate.

Matthieu.

> Clearly, ktpass is creating something that no program on the samba4
> box likes :-) BTW, I have joined a Mac to the samba4 domain, and
> samba3 on the mac automatically created a keytab with the correct
> entry. I can ssh into the mac with GSSAPI without any problem.

On host with samba3 net ads keytab is the easiest way to do.

> Please let me know if I can give you more information.
>
> Thanks!

Matthieu Patou
Samba Team        http://samba.org