move s3 make test to selftest

Guenther Deschner gd at samba.org
Fri Aug 13 07:34:44 MDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 02:42:52PM +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 12:00 +0200, Guenther Deschner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is it ok if I move make test in s3 to selftest ?
> >
> > http://git.samba.org/?p=gd/samba/.git;a=commitdiff;h=bb54f680f41c64830c91e114a1bd1321075108fc
> >
> > The old "make test" would be still available of course as "make oldtest".
> >
> > Yes, selftest requires perl but we require perl anyway for building the
> > gen_ndr code. The advantage of finally moving to make selftest is that we
> > can effectively work on member tests and that we can use the enormous
> > flexibility selftest provides.
> I asked about this a couple of months ago, and Jeremy raised some
> concerns:
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2010-May/071093.html
>
> If those have been addressed, +1 from me on using selftest.pl.

Oh right, missed that mail, quoting it here with my comments below:

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 02:37:51AM +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 21:24 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 11:52:41AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > > Given the work I'm doing on s3compat, I want to be careful not to
> > > break
> > > anything in the source3/ and common code that I may modify.
> > >
> > > So far, I've been doing that verification with 'make test', but
> > > there is
> > > also 'make selftest'.  Which should I be using?  What is the
> > > different
> > > between them, and how can we eventually get to having just one test
> > > target?
> >
> > I always use "make test", I think Guenther uses "make selftest".
> "make test" is the old-style shell script, "make selftest" uses the same
> (perl-based) infrastructure as Samba 4. The latter gives more granular
> feedback and allows running individual tests.
>
> Now that the Samba 3 build depends on perl anyway (for pidl), would it
> perhaps be possible to deprecate "make test" in favor of "make
> selftest" ?

Sure, I'll just have to learn where to add my tests again.
There are some tests I added into "make test" I'd like
to keep - I'll bug Guenther to get anything I need migrated
over. Is it possible to run make selftest as root ? There
are some (non mandatory) tests that need this.

Jeremy.

Ok, all of these issues have been adressed.

In the past months I worked on make selftest so that all tests that are
run with "make test" are now also run by "make selftest", including those
where e.g. dfs links were provisioned before running the tests. I don't
think there are any differences anymore.

Thanks,
Guenther

--
Günther Deschner                    GPG-ID: 8EE11688
Red Hat                         gdeschner at redhat.com
Samba Team                              gd at samba.org