your s3-auth branch

idra at samba.org idra at samba.org
Thu Aug 12 04:09:56 MDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 04:30:19PM +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> Hi Simo,
>
>  > Because the AD DC case is not the only case we need to support, there is the NT4 style DC,
>  > the member server, the standalone server and probably more.
>
> yes
>
>  > The RPC interfaces are set in stone and we always need to get them right anyway, so using
>  > them allows us much more flexibility.
>
> I don't follow that logic. How does a "set in stone" API offer
> "flexibility" ?

It offers the flexibility of a stable API, meaning anyone can do long term investment in code
without everything changing underneath.
Look at our passdb interface. We used to have external modules maintained, but ultimately
they disappeared because the interfaces kept changing.

>  > We can use a samr daemon/implementation in the AD DC case and
>  > another one in the member server case. And I plan to use yet
>  > another implementation or something based on the current ldapsam in
>  > S3 for my trust-rel work in IPA.
>
> and when the time comes that you want an attribute of the user that is
> not exposed over SAMR or LSA (there are plenty of those!) then what do
> you do?

For a member server or a standalone server or even a NT4 DC there aren't many.
Only some and mostly related to getting unix attributes for users. We can
define a unix-rpc pipe with a set in stone interface to get only those
attributes that we really need.

The AD DC case is completely different and that one can always use LDAP at any
given time.

>  > RPC interfaces makes any of this *much*, *much* simpler, and avoid
>  > layering leaks and shortcuts that made our code such a mess in the
>  > past and we are still fighting to clean up.
>
> yes, the auto-generated nature of RPC with IDL is great, but the fixed
> nature of SAMR/LSA in a world where the actual attributes of users is
> changing isn't.

The attributes we need in a member server really never change, we need an info3
struct and the additional unix posix attributes.

> If we want to use an externally defined API and we also want to ensure
> we can support all the user attributes that we will need into the
> future then really we need to choose LDAP.

In general it is a fine choice for an AD DC, not for the other cases IMO.

Simo.

Simo Sorce       idra at samba.org