talloc_tos() Re: 617ec07 ?

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Wed Aug 11 00:27:00 MDT 2010

Hi Volker,

I should start off by saying that I think talloc_tos() should
definately be in common code. It is now used in so much s3 code that
we have to support it.

My main confusion with talloc_tos() comes when think about how it
interacts with async events. With a lot of what happens in Samba now
happening in callbacks, it isn't clear to me that a stack based
approach is a good match.

Is there some way that talloc_tos and events is handled specially so
it makes sense? For example, what happens to memory allocated in timer
or signal callbacks? What about protocol callbacks on sockets?

It may well be handled fine, I don't know of a specific bug related to
talloc_tos and events, I'm just flagging it as a combination that
leaves me a bit puzzled.

Cheers, Tridge