Please try to upgrade an alpha10 when enforcing new rules in samdb

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 10 00:24:39 MDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 09:55 +0400, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> On 10/08/2010 02:59, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 01:03 +0400, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm trying hard to make one more time upgradeprovision work against all
> >> the change that are introduced in the code of samba4.
> >>
> >> It would be just great if you could do a test with upgradeprovision
> >> --full -s path_to_alpha10_smb.conf when you modify the samdb code (and
> >> especially when you add more strict checks).
> >> It will give you an idea that you are breaking upgradeprovision and that
> >> maybe you can do things in a different way not to break it, and if it's
> >> not possible then we can discuss ...
> >>
> >> In the particular case of this changeset I guess that the relax control
> >> has to be used, any idea or remarks ?
> > I guess that this is another case for relax.
> >
> I would rather be inclined to create a new control:
> upgradeprovisionrelax and use it so that we will relax things just for
> upgradeprovision.
> Later on I guess I have to go in the code and search for part with just
> the relax control and see if it applies also to upgradeprovision.

That seems reasonable.  We should also replace all the existing 'relax'
controls with a 'provision' control that is private to Samba.

> So that we have a clear vision for which purpose the relax is asked.

Indeed.

> > However, until we have an automated test for this, it will keep
> > happening.
> >
> > I'm very happy to have a full provision stored in the tree, for exactly
> > this kind of regression testing.  Please add samples from all the alpha
> > versions that you can, and a test that tries to upgrade it.  That is the
> > only way we will stop this pattern.
> >
> Yeah I thought many times at doing something like that, I wanted to make
> a clever thing but maybe i'll start with a dumb one !

Just make it another environment in the selftest/target/Samba4.pm (that
will let you start a server based on it), or a unit test alongside all
the other provision tests.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.