samba4 net join with pre-existing account

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Fri Aug 6 10:18:01 MDT 2010

  I find that if I pre-create the machine account, at the point of
creation I get to specify the user or group that can join the computer
to the domain. The magic token SELF means that the machine can join
itself to the domain (or anyone claiming to be the machine):

If only samba4's net join could use the "no password" that is created
for the initial machine account. However:
c:> net user <machine-name> <new-password> /DOMAIN

can be used to set the password for the account such that "net join" on
samba will be able to join the domain. (Of course -U <machine-name>
--password=<new-password> must be used, -P won't work yet!)

However we get a final failure:
Joining domain failed: Failed to replace entries on
CN=...,CN=Computers,DC=bah,DC=blah...

This error suggests that Samba's join is doing something not expected by
this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=251335 but the error
can be made to go away if I edit the advanced security properties of the
pre-created account and  add "read/write all properties" - I'm still
tracking down which properties are needed.

Sam

--
[FSF Associate Member #2325]
<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=2325>