yet another idmap rewrite - still for 3.6 ?

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Sun Aug 1 03:27:29 MDT 2010

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 17:47:25 +0200
Michael Adam <obnox at samba.org> wrote:

> This mail is to request that this code still gets into the
> 3.6 release, even though I did not manage to polish my
> patchset before the pre1 release.
[...]
> 1. The id mapping API should just consist of the methods
>     - sids_to_unixids
>     - unixids_to_sids
>    These calls should be atomic and the backend should know by itself
>    whether it needs to allocate some ids, store mappings and how.
>    To the caller, this should be completely irrelevant.

I really think this will make using winbindd from Samba4 much, much
easier. Basically, this is the central API Samba4 is using already.
Also, this changes allows us to use the concept of SID<->unixid
mappings in the S3 code, which again matches with what Metze and I came
up with when working on the S4 idmapping code in 2007.

I didn't get around to look at the actual patches yet, but I think
simplifying the idmap code while also moving the S3 and S4
implementations closer together is a good thing.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin