s3compat system for running s3 components in s4

Thu Apr 29 00:31:17 MDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:28:39AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> If everyone is amenable, I hope to convert the auth subsystem in Samba3
> to use some of the structures I developed in Samba4 (just simply because
> I continued to evolve auth/ after I switched my attentions).

Can you give me a pointer to the major differences that have
evolved over time? I know many of the calls and structures
in s3 suck, but in my pretty recent attempts to modify them
I produced a considerable amount of crashes and memleaks, so
morphing that code to me at least is a tricky task. In
particular the non-existing proper talloc hierarchy is a
major obstacle that needs VERY careful fixing. But that is a
task completely separate from adding a s4 auth module.

> This will, I hope, allow me to develop a Samba3 auth module that will
> ask Samba4 to complete the authentication.  (Removing the need for a
> passdb.tdb).

A separate auth module to connect to S4 (similar in spirit,
maybe not the implmentation to the auth_netlogond module) is
very welcome!

Volker