removing gen_ndr/*.* from the master git tree

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Apr 28 19:07:03 MDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 09:38 +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> Having all the gen_ndr/ files in git master is a real pain. I'd like
> to propose that we remove them and instead do one of the following:
>
>  1) we could put them only in the tarball for Samba3 releases
>
>  2) we could have them only in the s3 release branches
>
> In either case it would be the Samba3 release managers job to make
> sure they were in the release. Karolin, would you be happy to do that
> as part of the Samba3 release process?
>
> This would mean that developers building Samba3 from git master would
> need to have perl installed. I don't think that would be a real
> problem, but please let me know if you do s3 development from git
> master on a platform that doesn't have perl.

Isn't the history here that originally PIDL wasn't maintained in the the
Samba3 trees, and so it required having the right version installed?

Given we now share it and keep it in the source tree, and it's clear
exactly which version is expected (much like with waf).

The major benefit I see is that small changes to the IDL won't produce
such massive patches that only make it harder to see what the real
change was in the samba-cvs mail.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.