s3compat system for running s3 components in s4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Apr 28 18:28:39 MDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 14:25 +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> I've been working with Andrew Bartlett on a new approach for more
> closely integrating Samba3 and Samba4.
>
> The new approach is described is some detail here:
>
>   http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/s3compat
>
> Basically, it builds the Samba3 smbd as a shared library, and uses
> hide_symbols from the waf build (which maps to -fvisibility=hidden on
> gcc) to prevent symbol conflicts between the s3 and s4 code.
>
> The Samba4 bin/samba binary then links to libs3compatcore.so, and is
> able to access s3 functions via a thin compatibility layer (in
> s3compat/s3compat.c).

What I really like about this proposal is the way it builds on the
efforts already made like the merged build, the common code and Franky.
I think this is a really good way to get good, tight integration in a
polished Samba 4.0 product.  We will not, in this mode, have two
(possibly different) parsers for linearised formats just to communicate
and administer the whole server.  I think that's really important - as
the best junction points may not be places we can linearise well.

If everyone is amenable, I hope to convert the auth subsystem in Samba3
to use some of the structures I developed in Samba4 (just simply because
I continued to evolve auth/ after I switched my attentions).

This will, I hope, allow me to develop a Samba3 auth module that will
ask Samba4 to complete the authentication.  (Removing the need for a
passdb.tdb).

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.