Vampire against 2k domain

Cam Thompson cam.thompson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 13:08:06 MDT 2010

Hello List;

First time posting here - some of you know me as plaerzen from irc - I'm
hoping to be an early adopter in a production environment with a Win2k
domain.  I've been trying for some time now to vampire a win2k domain with
limited success.  Please be gentle :)

When I run vampire, the machine account gets created properly on the win2k
domain but the vampire fails:
(snip)

Mapped to DCERPC endpoint 1026

added interface ip=10.1.2.6 nmask=255.255.255.0
added interface ip=10.1.2.6 nmask=255.255.255.0
Starting GENSEC mechanism gssapi_krb5
Received smb_krb5 packet of length 1296
Received smb_krb5 packet of length 1296
Aquiring initiator credentials failed: Cannot allocate memory
Failed to start GENSEC client mech gssapi_krb5: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
Failed to start GENSEC client mechanism gssapi_krb5: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
Failed to bind to uuid e3514235-4b06-11d1-ab04-00c04fc2dcd2 -
NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
libnet_BecomeDC() failed -
NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
Traceback (most recent call
last):
  File
"/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py",
line 99, in _run
    return self.run(*args,
**kwargs)
  File
"/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/netcmd/vampire.py", line
51, in run
    (domain_name, domain_sid) = net.vampire(domain=domain,
target_dir=target_dir)
RuntimeError: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

I've been talking to Andrew B. about this and he has recommended different
syntax for net vampire.  I have also documented my work here:
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Camthompson/Migration_Notes_From_win2k_Server_to_Samba4

-Feel free to edit that page with any useful information you might have

So.  I guess my question is this: Am I using the right syntax for ./net
vampire?  Is there anything obviously wrong with what I am trying to do?  I
know win2k is untested.... I hope to change that.