Shadow copy and Windows 7

Uri Simchoni uri_simchoni at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 26 03:04:39 MDT 2010

Hi,

I've noticed that viewing previous versions using the shadow_copy2 vfs module doesn't work when the client is Windows 7. Digging a bit further, it seems that while processing the FSCTL_GET_SHADOW_COPY_DATA ioctl, samba requires a buffer of 4 bytes past the label array, but it doesn't write anything into these bytes. Vista used to "supply" these added 4 bytes but Windows 7 doesn't.

Is there a specific reason for requiring these 4 bytes? I couldn't find any documentation for this ioctl in msdn.

Thanks,
Uri.