[RFC] Get rid of --enable-merged ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Apr 22 15:43:15 MDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 13:58 +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> The merged build that we introduced as part of the Franky effort was an
> interesting idea but I wonder if we should get rid of it.
>
> It has been successful in that it has helped us share more code between
> Samba 3 and Samba 4, but it is not the only way of doing this.
>
> The merged build does make live more complicated though:
>
> Having a single configuration that can be used to build both branches
> sounds nice in theory, because it means you get to find out if it works
> in both branches at the same time. In practice it unfortunately means
> one more build configuration to worry about.

I really want us to get to the point where the merged build is the only
build.  That way, when I make a change to Samba4 and run 'make test' the
Samba3 winbind is connected and we check it all still works.

I agree that the current situation where we have s3, s4, and the merged
build to try and look after is crazy however.

> Supporting the merged build if Samba 4 moves to waf (not official but it
> appears like this is going to happen) will mean we'll need a waf build
> for Samba 3 as well (either in addition to or as a replacement of the
> current system).
>
> It's still possible to specify the Samba 4 smbtorture binary to use for
> Samba 3's testsuite manually.

My main concern is that this is a step backwards in our march towards a
more unified Samba.

My hope was that if waf were accepted as the build system for Samba3,
that it would be easier to achieve this - in particular only having one
build system to update for any given .c file.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.