Git pull error

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 22:39:54 MDT 2010

Hi

On 16 April 2010 05:00, Rohit Rajan <rohit.rajan at catalyst-us.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> FYI
>
> I just tried to get the latest git version today and got the following
> error.
>
> Resolving 331 deltas...
>  100% (331/331) done
> 150 objects were added to complete this thin pack.
> * refs/remotes/origin/master: fast forward to branch 'master' of
> git://git.samba.org/samba
>  old..new: 74c4c7f..a7f8c19
> * refs/remotes/origin/v3-4-test: fast forward to branch 'v3-4-test' of
> git://git.samba.org/samba
>  old..new: 3dab331..302e9b1c
> * refs/remotes/origin/v3-5-test: fast forward to branch 'v3-5-test' of
> git://git.samba.org/samba
>  old..new: ce565b0..12936bf
> Updating deccb6c..a7f8c19
> librpc/gen_ndr/cli_winreg.c: needs update
> source4/librpc/gen_ndr/README: needs update
> fatal: Entry 'librpc/gen_ndr/cli_winreg.c' not uptodate. Cannot merge.

It seems you have made changes to those three files but not checked
them in yet and the pull could not merge the upstream changes with
your local changes.

The following seem mostly to mention checkout rather than merge (which
a pull does).

http://www.google.com/search?q=fatal%3A+Entry+%22not+uptodate.+Cannot+merge.%22

I am not a git expert, but maybe you'd have more control over this if
you do separate git fetch and git merge commands instead of git pull
which does both together.

The git fetch is unnecessary right now because your git pull has
already done it.
Try reading the git-merge man page.  Using a different merge strategy
might help.

This section of the man page also looks relevant:

PRE-MERGE CHECKS
       Before applying outside changes, you should get your own work in good
       shape and committed locally, so it will not be clobbered if there are
       conflicts. See also git-stash(1). git pull and git merge will stop
       without doing anything when local uncommitted changes overlap with
       files that git pull/git merge may need to update.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>