banning merges on master

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Apr 14 15:52:35 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 09:52 -0400, simo wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 23:39 +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> > > Author: Andrew Tridgell <tridge at samba.org>
> >  > Date:   Wed Apr 14 23:38:05 2010 +1000
> >  >
> >  >     Merge branch 'master' of ssh://git.samba.org/data/git/samba
> >
> > sorry, I forgot a --rebase on a git pull
>
> Would it make sense to have a hook that prevents pushes of merge
> commits ?
> Or do we have legitimate uses for merges in the main branch ?

One area were merges sometimes are required is when I do a Samba4 alpha
release.  I've been asked to merge the release tree back into master, so
that we get the tag in the main master history.   Often a change or two
has gone in while I've been cutting the release, but we can't rebase a
signed tag (nor should we).

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.