patch Bad char conversion Illegal multibyte prozeduranzahl

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 14:44:55 MDT 2010

Hi

On 8 April 2010 21:47, Heiko L. <h.lehmann at fh-lausitz.de> wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> Is it possible that the encoding of "Fröhlich" does not
>> match what you have set in "unix charset"? For example, you
>> might have the ö in Fröhlich encoded as ISO8859-1, and Samba
>> possibly implicitly assumes UTF-8, or vice versa. Have you
>> tried to play with the unix charset setting?
>
> You suggestion are possible...
> The account data are exported from IDM. (smbpasswd, not ldap)
> We have the problem since the update redhat (3.0.10)  -> centos (3.3.12)
>
> - System old
>  - windomainlogon:     o.k.
>  - smbclient:          o.k.
>
>  $ cat /etc/redhat-release
>  Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 2)
>
>  # grep "smbd version" log.smbd
>  smbd version 3.0.10-1.4E.2 started.
>
>  # grep "char" /etc/samba/smb.conf
>  #
>
> - System new
>  - windomainlogon:     err: "Die Prozeduranzahl liegt ausserhalb des
> erlaubten Bereichs"
>  - smbclient:          o.k.
>
>  # cat /etc/redhat-release
>  CentOS release 5.4 (Final)
>
>  # grep "smbd version" log.smbd
>  smbd version 3.3.12 started.
>
>  # echo $LANG
>  de_DE.UTF-8
>
>  # grep "char" /etc/samba/smb.conf
>  #
>
>  # grep $BENUTZER /etc/passwd| cut -d : -f 5 | hexdump -C
>  00000000  74 65 73 74 20 6a f6 72  62 72 61 6d 0a           |test
> j.rbram.|

That is valid for iso-8859-1, but not valid for utf-8.

> - test charset [1]
>  The idea: forced the conversion, but it did not a success:
>
>  # grep charset smb.conf
>  unix charset = UTF-8
>  display charset = UTF-8

Given that the actual username seems to be encoded as iso-8859-1 (or
something similar), maybe this is what you need in "unix charset"?

I have not read up on these parameters, though, and exactly what they
are used for, so I could, of course, be completely wrong.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>