patch Bad char conversion Illegal multibyte prozeduranzahl

Heiko L. h.lehmann at fh-lausitz.de
Thu Apr 8 13:47:01 MDT 2010

Hallo,

> Is it possible that the encoding of "Fröhlich" does not
> match what you have set in "unix charset"? For example, you
> might have the ö in Fröhlich encoded as ISO8859-1, and Samba
> possibly implicitly assumes UTF-8, or vice versa. Have you
> tried to play with the unix charset setting?

You suggestion are possible...
The account data are exported from IDM. (smbpasswd, not ldap)
We have the problem since the update redhat (3.0.10)  -> centos (3.3.12)

- System old
  - windomainlogon:     o.k.
  - smbclient:          o.k.

  $ cat /etc/redhat-release
  Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 2)

  # grep "smbd version" log.smbd
  smbd version 3.0.10-1.4E.2 started.

  # grep "char" /etc/samba/smb.conf
  #

- System new
  - windomainlogon:     err: "Die Prozeduranzahl liegt ausserhalb des
erlaubten Bereichs"
  - smbclient:          o.k.

  # cat /etc/redhat-release
  CentOS release 5.4 (Final)

  # grep "smbd version" log.smbd
  smbd version 3.3.12 started.

  # echo $LANG
  de_DE.UTF-8

  # grep "char" /etc/samba/smb.conf
  #

  # grep $BENUTZER /etc/passwd| cut -d : -f 5 | hexdump -C
  00000000  74 65 73 74 20 6a f6 72  62 72 61 6d 0a           |test
j.rbram.|

- test charset [1]
  The idea: forced the conversion, but it did not a success:

  # grep charset smb.conf
  unix charset = UTF-8
  display charset = UTF-8

regards Heiko
(believes to know, which i did wrong...)

[1] http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/unicode.html
   - any links: 404