proposal: merge waf build of s4 to master

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Tue Apr 6 08:37:57 MDT 2010

On Tuesday 06 April 2010 07:35:55 Volker Lendecke wrote:

> To be honest, so far I have not been convinced to throw away
> the old system in favor of something that will bring its own
> set of problems. The current system might be verbose and
> clumsy to use, but it is understandable.

Ok, if it's understandable by you, good. :) I don't claim to fully understand
it, or I'd have tried to fix the bugs I recently filed instead of just putting
them into bugzilla (arguably, most of them probably aren't configure bugs).

> For example the GNU
> ld detection problem with SLES 11 that I recently fixed was
> pretty simple to do.

Ok, that's an easy one, I probably would have been able to do that one. Can
you point me at why we always build with sendfile support on Linux even if you
specify --without-sendfile? I didn't find that one.

> I am sure that you will reply this
> particular one is just no issue at all with waf, but when
> some similar problem appears with waf, I know that I will be
> very pissed when I have to wade through hundreds of lines of
> python code to find the place where it fails.

Ok, not much to do about that, you've got to wade through thousands of lines
of m4 in the current system, and during the conversion I'm trying to stay as
close as possible to the way the current autoconf system works. There's no way
I can turn 6769 lines of configure.in into only a couple of lines of waf
buildscript. But that's probably not what you're worried about.

> You might say
> that we have good contact to the waf author, but what
> happens when he is on vacation for a month? The autoconf
> based system has tons of independent documentation and the
> resulting configure is a pure shell script without much
> magic. To me this is an advantage that is very hard to beat
> when you want to fix things.

As metze suggested, I think the best way to fix the python dependency is to
extend the S3 waf build to also output a configure script for the dist
tarball. That does not address your other concerns about Python, though.

In any case, I see no point in discussing this while S3 doesn't even build
with waf. I'll just get back to work.

Cheers,
Kai

--