Characters limitations in the "User Logon Name (more than 20 characters)"

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Apr 5 19:58:04 MDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 08:34 +0530, Rohit Rajan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have created a user with the logon name longer than 20 characters,
> user created successfully, but when trying to logon to windows XP box,
> user is not able to logon using the "User Logon Name (more than 20
> characters)" but is able to logon using the "User Logon Name [Pre
> windows 2000]" which is only 20 characters.
>
> Is this the normal behavior, i'm not sure but i believe with windows
> 2003 and windows xp user should be able to logon using the full "User
> Logon Name (more than 20 characters)".
>
> I'm using samba Version 4.0.0alpha12-GIT-ba74823 and windows XP service
> pack 3 with all the patches up2date of windows XP
> Please suggest.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc220838%28PROT.10%29.aspx seems
to indicate that this attribute should be limited to 20 characters.
Perhaps somewhere a char name[20] still exists in Microsoft's clients.

You may be able to use a longer user name in the userPrincipalName
attribute, but I can assure you that this limitation isn't in Samba (we
just don't ever use fixed length strings except where the protocol
requires it - which isn't the case here).

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.