proposal: merge waf build of s4 to master

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Apr 5 16:44:21 MDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 00:14 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> When do people call SerNet? It is often because the default
> SUN/HP/IBM install just does not do the job. For example
> 3.0.x is pretty unhappy talking to W2K8R2 these days.
> Shutting down the CIFS service on big machines until
> SUN/HP/IBM package a new Samba often is just no option.
> Installing the compiler, Kerberos and OpenLDAP libs is
> enough of pain, adding python just makes those emergency
> support cases more difficult than necessary. I can tell you
> stories that we recently have seen in customer cases how
> difficult it can be to transfer just a single file into a
> restricted, firewalled environment. This can literally take
> hours. It is not a simple rsync from samba.org in many
> cases. And if you're under pressure because 2000 people have
> been sent home because your fucking samba build does not
> work every single additional package is a huge PITA.
>
> Why putting that burden on our users for limited benefit?

What could a new build system do, to make this easier for you?

For example, if waf built Samba so that when you install OpenLDAP and
Kerberos, you can do so in a location that none of the rest of the
system will see (say /usr/local/samba/lib/openldap and you don't modify
ld.so.conf or LD_LIBRARY_PATH), but Samba links against with -rpath,
would that make your emergency installs less risky?

Presumably you already have prepared a set of known-working tarballs
that you bring onto these sites.  Would just having a script in the
Samba that knows how to build python for waf be enough, or is there a
particular advantage to combining it?

Anyway, we are getting ahead of ourselves, Kai is yet to finish his
work, nor has he made his proposal.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.