proposal: merge waf build of s4 to master

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Mon Apr 5 05:09:41 MDT 2010

Hi Volker,

 > Another question: What does the pure Samba3 end-user doing a
 > compile gain from a conversion to waf?

Not nearly as much as developers gain, but there are a few things:

 - install/uninstall work properly (ie. really removes all files and
   directories on uninstall)

 - correct use of system vs in-tree headers, so less likely to get a
   broken build

 - bundled library renames, so they can safely install on a system
   that has packages that rely on talloc, tdb etc without breaking
   their system

 - able to use rpath if they want to, to avoid having to muck about
   with their ld.so.conf

 - if they are installing from git, then they can update and re-build
   reliably without having to do make clean idl_full

 - detection of conflicts between system and in-tree libs, so you
   don't end up with two instances of talloc in one binary (and thus
   possible corruption)

and most importantly of all, a bit of colour in their terminal when
building :-)

Perhaps none of these are enough by themselves to justify a change of
build system for Samba3, but I think the gains for the developers will
be more worthwhile.

Cheers, Tridge