proposal: merge waf build of s4 to master

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Apr 4 20:40:07 MDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 16:13 +1100, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A couple of weeks ago I proposed that any new build system for Samba
> be adopted in stages:
>
>   http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2010-March/070065.html
>
> I'd now like to propose that the waf build of Samba4 move to stage 2,
> which means merging it into master.

+1

I think that waf's time certainly has come.  We need a new build system
(or at least a serious rework of the existing one) to fix the multiple
globals problem, and your work has shown a concrete way we can achieve
that.

Given the fact that it builds on more platforms than our previous
system, and there are no other proposals (nor a proposal that we instead
re-invigorate the current systems), I don't think we should delay the
move of waf into the tree any longer.

Any more issues can be addressed as folks use it during the stage 2
period, and before we decide about a switch to waf by default.  (Which,
at this point, I would also support).

My only comment is that when I looked today at your waf-wip it still had
a couple of odd e-mail addresses as authors.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.