s4:provision - Bump down the domain and forest level to Windows 2000

Andrew Kroeger andrew at id10ts.net
Mon Sep 21 13:34:35 MDT 2009

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 11:43 -0500, Andrew Kroeger wrote:
>> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>>> Matthias,
>>>
>>> I'm puzzled as to why we needed to change the default functional level
>>> here.  Perhaps I'm missing something, but what was wrong with the old
>>> default?
>>>
>>> I'm quite happy to have options in our provision to set the domain
>>> functional level (certainly between Windows 2003 and Windows 2008
>>> level), and have scripts to change it, but the default should not be
>>> changed without discussion on the list.
>>>
>>> Similarly, we should not advertise a higher server functional level
>>> without carefully considering and discussing the consequences.
>>>
>>> I'm sorry to have to be so picky about this, but we need to work a bit
>>> closer to review your changes for their broader impact.  We have a big
>>> week of testing coming up at Microsoft, and changes like this mid-week
>>> could really throw a spanner in the works.
>>>
>>> Andrew Bartlett
>> Andrew:
>>
>> I think it's time to have that discussion on the list :)
>>
>> After your commit 23ffccd5d7c9a88d479f82043ff1b6efe938cc6a, which
>> changed forest, domain and domain controller functionality levels to
>> 2008, I cannot join a W2K8 server to an S4 domain.  After reverting that
>> commit, I am again able to join a W2K8 server to an S4 domain.
>>
>> I am attaching the relevant section of my samba.log containing details
>> from when the domain join fails.
>
> It looks like 'salting' to me.  Ensure you have a fresh provision (we
> changed the salting algorithm).  Perhaps there is an upgrade bug on
> secrets.ldb.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Andrew:

I just confirmed that commit 23ffccd5d7c9a88d479f82043ff1b6efe938cc6a is
in fact causing my issue.  I did a fresh pull from master (through
commit e440a2e11e78a562f97971c0dfe0cf3f694996ff) on a clean branch (no
local modifications).  I performed a clean build, fresh install and
fresh provision, and I could not join a W2K8 server to the S4 domain
again.  I reverted commit 23ffccd5d7c9a88d479f82043ff1b6efe938cc6a, did
another clean build, fresh install and fresh provision, and then I could
successfully join the W2K8 server to the S4 domain.

I'm currently running W2K8 SP2 with all updates applied, but I also saw
the error with a base W2K8 install (no SP or updates installed).

I'm willing to run additional tests to help track this down if you are
having problems reproducing the issue.

Sincerely,
Andrew Kroeger