s4:provision - Bump down the domain and forest level to Windows 2000

Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer mdw at samba.org
Mon Sep 21 03:41:59 MDT 2009

Yeah, abartlet I understood your arguments.

Well, the domain controller function level change was silly - though. To
revert it cleanly I need also to adapt it in the "libcli" library which
is used when we itself join as a DC.

Regarding the domain/forest function level - I personally - don't see
much problems since I wrote the "domainlevel" tool as step-up. Also per
default Windows Server uses the lowest supported level and you can
step-up afterwards. Maybe it was not right to step-down to Windows 2000
compatibility; therefore Windows 2003 compatibility could be the right
value.

So for now I accept your change there but I would like to discuss that
another time.

Matthias