Query in Encryption algorithm.

Thu Sep 3 03:56:20 MDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 02:04:20PM +0530, karthikeyan.chetty at wipro.com wrote:
>  I have following queries, Please clarify my doubts.
>
> 1. Where is the DES algorithm used in Samba?? LM, NTLM, Kerberos,
> NTLMv2...

Mainly it's used in the legacy LM authentication. See
http://davenport.sourceforge.net/ntlm.html for details here.
For Kerberos it's a configuration issue.

> 2. Whether Samba Code has DES Encryption Algorithms ??

libcli/auth/smbdes.c

> 3. Does Samba uses DES in case of Kerberos???

At least S3 does not do Kerberos itself, we delegate this to
the system libraries. If you allow DES is a matter of
configuration, but normally, we do not do DES for Kerberos.

Volker