s3-netlogon: implement _netr_ServerPasswordSet2.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 2 15:25:48 MDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 14:31 +0200, Guenther Deschner wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 09:24:48PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 03:48 -0500, Günther Deschner wrote:
> > > commit 2b8afd2257d8c9886f785929ca8dfcd04eb45755
> > > Author: Günther Deschner <gd at samba.org>
> > > Date:   Thu Aug 27 23:30:50 2009 +0200
> > >
> > >     s3-netlogon: implement _netr_ServerPasswordSet2.
> > >
> > >     Guenther
> >
> > How do you propose to handle the random data windows feeds to this
> > function?  You cannot convert the password given here into UTF8 - you
> > must MD4 the original buffer.
>
> If you look at one of the preceding patches you'd see that we do exactly
> that: MD4 the original buffer. We ever only handle the cleartext if we can
> decode the buffer (just as Samba4 does). Also, Samba3 does not store clear
> text passwords at all so it's just fine to store generated hashes.

Ahh, great.  I didn't see that, and as this function left some pretty
deep wounds, I assumed the worst :-)

For safety's sake, as there are no password polices on machine accounts,
and no other reason to store the plaintext, I would always MD4 it.  That
is what Samba4 does (the conversion is only to create the kerberos
keys).

> > (Also, why try to implement this in Samba3?  It's needed for AD support,
> > but given the pain it induces I don't see where it fits into a NT4 DC).
>
> As you probably know we have clients out there (net & winbind) that have a
> broken netr_ServerPasswordSet() client code path (see recent cred_hash3
> removal during the netlogon auth client and server merge that finally
> fixed it). So, instead of locking out those machines (after a server
> successfully sets a password the client has incorrectly encrypted) it is
> much better to allow those clients to set their machine password using
> netr_ServerPasswordSet2 (client support for netr_ServerPasswordSet2 has
> been added to Samba3 a long time ago already).
>
> Are there any bad side-effects with that?

That sounds like a very good reason to add the function.  I don't know
of anything that it would break, once you handle the random password
issue.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.