ldb python bindungs - better use the "enum ldb_scope" for the search scope rather than "int"

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 27 16:48:20 MDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 12:18 +0000, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
>

> Please revert this - this is intentional. PyArg_ParseTupleAndKeywords parses
> and sets an integer, not an ldb_scope enum. The values it reads are not
> necessarily valid ldb_scope values.

Matthias,

The reason this is a worry is that the size of an enum and the size of
'int' may differ, and this reverts a patch tridge put in only very
recently to fix python on 64 bit machines.

See commit c45a81ecf3229762b7074891b86d894c27489180

Perhaps you could continue to put your cleanup patches past another team
member, so they may advise on areas of history or complexity that you
haven't picked up on yet, just as you are on the const patches?

I know these changes seem trivial and safe, but we seem to be doing the
reviews (and finding issues) once they are in the tree, rather than
before they are merged.

(And yes, I've had my own suite of issues with patches that have been in
the tree without enough review and testing.  This is something we all
need to improve on).

Thanks,

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.