Mac can't rename a directory when the directory is open with change notification

George K Colley gcolley at apple.com
Thu Oct 22 09:33:50 MDT 2009

In our latest release we add support for change notification. I have a customer that can't rename a directory that we have open for change notification.

I have test here with Centos Samba version: 3.0.33-3.7.el5 and it works fine. The customer is running Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4, linux 2.6.28-15-generic running samba version 3.3.2, which fails the rename. Also this works with all my Windows Servers.

Customer creates the directory and then attempts to rename the directory. I have a trace that shows us creating the directory. When opening the item for change notification we open it with Read Access and allow all other access and then send the change notification. When we attempt to rename the item we get a access denied error?

Any thoughts or ideas, I can send the tcpdump to anyone that wants to take a look.

George