s4:provision - rework the "guess_names" and "make_smbconf" method

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Oct 21 15:46:40 MDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 16:29 -0500, Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer wrote:
> The branch, master has been updated
>        via  33f3d54... s4:provision - rework the "guess_names" and "make_smbconf" method
>       from  78a5e26... s3:Makefile: add some explicit dependencies to libc
>
> http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=shortlog;h=master
>

> - Log -----------------------------------------------------------------
> commit 33f3d54de4ffab239e107cb8c92a8454080adbf3
> Author: Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer <mwallnoefer at yahoo.de>
> Date:   Wed Oct 21 19:38:52 2009 +0200
>
>     s4:provision - rework the "guess_names" and "make_smbconf" method
>
>     - Cleans it up from unnecessary "lower()/upper()" and parameters which can be
>       derived through "lp" calls.
>     - Substitute the "HOSTNAME" caption in the "smb.conf" templates with
>       "NETBIOS_NAME" which fits better.
>     - Now the "realm" and "domain" parameter of the provision are totally case
>       insensitive and the script itself up/downcases them appropriately depending
>       on the use (e.g. "realm" upcase for KERBEROS, lowcase for DNS domainname).

Matthias,

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to do here, because it
looks like you are removing a lot of very important consistency checks.

Remember that folks may run provision with an smb.conf already in place,
and these checks were added specifically to avoid them choosing settings
that are contradictory to that smb.conf.

At the same time, it hoped to allow them to read that smb.conf for the
basic settings that were not specified on the command line.

It seems you now silently override the command-line options with what
was in any smb.conf file that was found.  This has caused us a *lot* of
trouble in the past, which is why the Exceptions are there.

In retrospect, we should have had test cases that specifically looked
for these exceptions to ensure this wasn't broken.

Could you please have a look at this again?

Thanks,

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.