ext4 - getting at birth time (file create time) and getting/setting nanosecond time stamps and utime

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 09:36:00 MDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Henrik Nordstrom
<henrik at henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
> utimen -> nanosecond  (struct timespec) (1/1000000000), same granularity
> as current stat(), clock_gettime() and friends.

Yes.   I have opened bug 6836 in samba bugzilla to track having smbd
use utimensat (but not sure whether they will be able to detect when
the file system can support nanosecond timestamps through - even with
use of utimensat - so there may be questions about how to do runtime
detection of whether the filesystem is one like ext4, xfs, jfs etc.
that can store such timestamps, if not they probably still have to
store 100 nanosecond "DCE time" granulariy timestamps in xattrs)

The getting (and optionally setting) create time (via xattr) is still
an open question, but am hopeful that that won't be hard to add for
ext4.
--
Thanks,

Steve