[IPA] Attribute Linking and Indexing

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Oct 9 01:22:30 MDT 2009

Endi,

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 09:18 +0200, Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer wrote:
> Hi Endi,
>
> your work looks really good but In addition to metze's response I would
> like to add
> - It's possible for you to do a check against a recent revision (only to
> make sure that it applies - maybe some changes from us done in the
> meantime affect yours and then we have problems on merge)

Indeed, all patches proposed for Samba must be tested against the most
current revision.  If they don't work, then whatever blocks them from
working must be fixed - by you or others - before the patches can be
accepted.

(Naturally, you are free to post previews of patches against earlier
revisions, but for submission you must do the merge and test).

> - Memory corruption: to be honest I would like to see it fixed where it
> does occur. That's always the better approach than trying to "bypass" it
> in certain functions (which makes them more complex than needed). In
> addition ldb* files belong to the LDB library which itself should be as
> API/ABI stable as possible (since it is in use also by other software)
> and therefore changes should be avoided when there doesn't exist a good
> reason (e.g. bugfixing, memory leaks, wrong error result...).
> Regarding your problem: Did you try a run under gdb or valgrind which
> maybe helps to find out the bug? Or give us advices how you reproduced this.

This is good advise.  Running 'GDB_PROVISION=yes make quicktest' is
often a good idea in these situations.

If the code appears to work on the build farm, but not on your machine,
then consider cleaning the tree out (ask a git guru for the incantation)
and building again.  Also just try a 'make clean all'.

The OpenLDAP backend isn't regularly tested (this is a problem), so you
may need to help get that working first, before proposing your changes.
I know it's not your area, but your work depends on it, so you might be
the best person to look at it.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.