[IPA] Attribute Linking and Indexing

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 6 21:44:48 MDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 23:31 -0400, Endi Sukma Dewata wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> This is a continuation of the previous discussion about extended DN problem.
> There are 2 issues that need to be solved, please take a look at these pages:
> - Attribute linking: http://www.freeipa.org/page/Samba_4_Attribute_Linking
> - Attribute indexing: http://www.freeipa.org/page/Samba_4_Attribute_Indexing

As I have come to expect, this is another analysis of the problem and a
correct proposal for the solution.  It would be good to ensure that
these pages stay around long-term, as they describe the behaviour and
requirements of Samba and both backends very well.

> DS has "Linked Attributes" and "MemberOf" plugins which can be used to link
> objects. The "Linked Attributes" plugin is a generic attribute linking
> similar to the linked_attributes LDB module. The "MemberOf" plugin can flatten
> nested groups (i.e. the memberOf attribute will contain all groups to which the
> user directly or indirectly belongs), but it doesn't seem to be possible to
> configure multiple instances of this plugin. Does Samba need to flatten the
> groups?

Quite the opposite - Samba requires that groups not be flattened.

I've been impressed by the proposals.  Now I just look forward to the
patches!

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.