python linking hack

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Oct 6 12:23:52 MDT 2009

Hi Tridge,

On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 11:04 +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:

> The size of bin/python/ is getting rather silly with each shared lib
> containing almost all of Samba.
>
> I've put together a hack that works around this, reducing bin/python/
> from 476M to 28M on my system. It is almost certainly not the right
> approach, but I'm hoping it may inspire something better :-)
Indeed you have :-)

I don't have any internet at home so I have been a bit "away" on
IRC/mailing list recently, but I have been doing some work on Samba in
the meantime.

I've converted the build system to Python, have added tests for it and
have been doing some crazy refactoring. So far I've gotten the size of
bin/ down to 440 Mb and the overhead of the makefile generator is now
less than a second (down from 3 or 4 here locally) but there is still
more to be fixed.

Cheers,

Jelmer

Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org