python linking hack

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Fri Oct 2 19:04:53 MDT 2009

Hi Jelmer,

The size of bin/python/ is getting rather silly with each shared lib
containing almost all of Samba.

I've put together a hack that works around this, reducing bin/python/
from 476M to 28M on my system. It is almost certainly not the right
approach, but I'm hoping it may inspire something better :-)

See my linking-wip branch or this commit:

  http://git.samba.org/?p=tridge/samba.git;a=commit;h=fa4019d1614d8dcfb7ae1496018757f4e7226df2

We also need to work out if we should use the same technique for
bin/shared/ and for the main binaries. I think we have about 40M of
code total (in terms of object size) in Samba4, but we're producing
over 1G of binaries. I know disk is cheap, but the link times really
make development a pain on laptops!

Cheers, Tridge