Read only Folder

Whelan, Gerard Gerard.Whelan at iconplc.com
Fri Oct 2 06:06:57 MDT 2009

Hi,

   I need to make a folder read only under a fileshare that has full
permissions granted to it.  The fileshare with full permissions is
/u02/prodfileshare.  The folder I need to make read only for everyone
except the owner of the folder is called
/u02/prodfileshare/EFT/purchases.  Details of my configuration are
below.

# ls -ld /u02/prodfileshare/
drwxrwxrwx  48 oraprod  dba         2048 Sep 30 14:31
/u02/prodfileshare/

# ls -ld /u02/prodfileshare/EFT/purchases
drwxr-xr-x   2 oraprod  dba          512 Oct  2 12:47
/u02/prodfileshare/EFT/purchases

[global]
        workgroup = EXAMPLE.COM
        server string = Samba Server
        security = SHARE
        guest account = oraprod
        log file = /var/samba/log/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        dns proxy = No

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[prod_fileshare]
        comment = UAT Share
        path = /u02/prodfileshare
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

Even though I have denied write access to group and other on the
purchases folder itself using UNIX permissions, the users can still
write to the folder when connecting through Samba.  That's because the
guest account is oraprod.  This needs to be oraprod.  I have a test
system where I can try different configurations if anyone has any ideas.
If you need anymore information please let me know.

Thanks for your help,

Gerard

ICON plc made the following annotations.
This e-mail transmission may contain confidential or legally privileged information
that is intended only for the individual or entity named in the e-mail address. If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or reliance upon the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail transmission in error, please reply to the sender, so that
ICON plc can arrange for proper delivery, and then please delete the message.
Thank You,
ICON plc
South County Business Park
Leopardstown