[SAMBA4] Help merge my ldb-fixes branch

Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer mdw at samba.org
Fri Oct 2 01:15:35 MDT 2009

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Bartlett schrieb:
> Matthias,
>
> While at the plugfest at Microsoft a week ago now, I did a lot of work
> to make our LDAP server better.
>
> However, while it now passes more of Microsoft's testsuites, I don't
> have Samba tests for any of the changes.  As such, we will break this
> work in future, and I'll only find out next time I get my hands on the
> MS tests.
>
> I wondered if you or someone on the list might like to cherry-pick some
> of the changes and write tests in ldap.py for them so they can be pushed
> to master?  (Ignore the changes under lib/ldb)
>
> They are in git://git.samba.org/abartlet/samba.git ldb-fixes

I noticed the branch but I didn't want to pick anything before it wasn't
ready (as you said it seems now to be). Btw, what's with your rewritten
indexes (ldb-index branch)?
> I know you have changes for samldb and ldap.py in store.  Perhaps you
> might want to take a close look at my changes and see how to best
> integrate new tests and these new requirements into that work?
>
> BTW, in retrospect I wish I had looked closer at your changes before the
> week at MS, as many of the modify tests failed (as you know, many things
> are illegal to modify), and it seems you now have a way to handle that.
> Nice work!

Yeah, the branch is a nice apporoach. I began a rework on the top of the
MS-ADTS guide which specifies the exact triggers and what they do -
since we at the moment perform changes a bit "arbitrary". Then I
introduced prework and postwork attribute triggers which are applied on
addition and modification of specified attributes. They will be useful
e.g. for our "dNSDomainname" and "servicePrincipalName" checks. (NB I
speak always about our SAM ldb module). But the patchset doesn't work
until now and needs much more work.
At the moment I'm improving the "password_hash" module so the other one
will likely take much longer.

Matthias