salting in Samba4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Oct 1 17:54:34 MDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 06:31 -0500, Andrew Kroeger wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Don't bother - just import the ktutil from Heimdal into the heimdal/
> > tree and build it like the other heimdal utilities with heimdal_build/
>
> Andrew:
>
> When you refer to importing the ktutil from heimdal, are you thinking
> about a one-shot import, or do you envision modifying the heimdal import
> process/scripts so that ktutil is brought in and all future updates are
> also included as part of any future imports/updates?  If the latter, do
> you have any pointers as to where I should start?
>
> I have looked at the "automated" scripts from Metze for updating to a
> newer heimdal codebase, but I cannot seem to grasp how those scripts
> grab the core heimdal library functionality but leave the utilities out
> of what is imported.

It's just per-file, which is why it doesn't stand out.

> Correct me if I am wrong, but I assume we would want to integrate the
> import of the ktutil code as part of the update scripts.  We want to
> pull updated code for ktutil every time we run the scripts that pull
> updated code from the heimdal repository, correct?

If you copy the code in once, the automated scripts will handle it in
future (they just copy in all files that are already in the tree).  The
main challenge is to add the right stuff to heimdal_build/internal.mk to
build it.  Call it samba4ktutil (in line with the other imported
utilities)

(The result of this is that if lha adds a new file to the heimdal libs,
I have to find and import it manually once too)

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.