winbind 3.3.7 memory usage

Thu Oct 1 02:29:42 MDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 10:18:54AM +0200, Dr. Hansjoerg Maurer wrote:
> yes, no problem, we have a box where this should be no problem.
> Can you point me to a short howto, how I can do this?

Install debugging symbols. Either your distro should bring
samba debuginfo packages, or if you compile it yourself,
compile with -g. ./configure --enable-developer for example
does that.

Install valgrind (www.valgrind.org or your distro repo).
Then start winbind as follows (all in one line of course):

valgrind --tool=memcheck --leak-check=full -v
--num-callers=20 --trace-children=yes winbindd >
/tmp/valgrind.out 2>&1

The resulting processes will be larger from the start. If
after a while one subprocess has grown substantially, shut
down winbind with

smbcontrol <pid> stop

The output of /tmp/valgrind.out is the interesting piece
then.

Volker