s4-drs: cope with bogus empty attributes from w2k8-r2 (Re: [SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated)

Kamen Mazdrashki kamen.mazdrashki at postpath.com
Mon Nov 30 03:00:05 MST 2009

Tridge, Metze

Just want to share what are my observations about this "bug".
I've sent a request to MS dochelp, which can be tracked in
'cifs-protocol' mailing list also.

here are few points:
- this behavior is observed against w2k8-r2
- it happens every time you change the schema and Class OID or
  Attribute OID you are adding is not already in the prefixMap
- prefixMap entries are created for newly added Classes/Attributes.
  It is just those entries are 'strange looking' and the ATTIDs
  are pretty strange too.
  One thing in common for those ATTIDs is that highest bit is
  always set - I guess this could be flag for something.

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:42,  <tridge at samba.org> wrote:
>  > do you know the attid space is splitted into multiple parts,
>  > not all ids are mapped via the prefix map, some are also mapped
>  > to static values defined with the msDs-intID (or a similar name)
>  > in the schema objects.
>
> I didn't know that, thanks! Do you have an example of how I would
> lookup one of those attids?

I am very curious to see such an example also?

>  > Are the attid's different each time you run the test?
>
> no, they are the same each time. Here are the two I get at the moment:
>
>   Discarding bogus empty DsReplicaAttribute with attid 0x98e17dfb
>   Discarding bogus empty DsReplicaAttribute with attid 0x853c1d03
>
> do those numbers mean anything to you?

During my tests, those values are also always the same between DRS
sessions - it behaves just like in 'normal' cases, except that nobody
knows how to decode those ATTIDs (at least 'nobody' I've been talking
about this issue with) :)

I attaching here my logs also.

CU,
Kamen Mazdrashki