Commit: 0920e0b63b806c8ed4839271048dd4924ed02b2b

Kamen Mazdrashki kamenim at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 09:00:15 MST 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 07:32,  <tridge at samba.org> wrote:
> it is far too dangerous. The environment variable LDB_URL is the
> standard environment variable used by the ldb tools to avoid using the
> -H option. It is not uncommon for someone to set this to point at a
> real LDB. In my case I had it pointed at my sam.ldb, which meant that
> running "make test" not only failed, it also corrupted by sam database.

This is good to know.
I haven't realized it is used that way - I thought it is temporary DB to be
used during testing - I don't know why I was thinking it is cleaned every
test suite is started :)

>  > Could we just use another name for the environment variable used?
>
> no, please don't use an environment variable for this sort of thing.
>
> If you want to have a way to override the location of this test ldb,
> then use lp_parm_string() and then pass the location using the
> --option command line option. To see some examples of this, try:
>
>  git grep lp_parm_string source4/torture/
>
> for example, you could have:
>
>  ldb_url = lp_parm_string(tctx->lp_ctx, NULL, "drstest", "ldb_url");
>
> and then set it with:
>
>  --option drstest:ldb_url=foo.ldb

This is much better solution. I will do it that way.

Thanks for spotting that out and... sorry for inconveniences you might
have had with this approach.

--
CU,
Kamen Mazdrashki