tdbsam as default passdb backend in 3.4

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Tue May 26 20:20:37 GMT 2009

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 08:13:11PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 11:04:30AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > > I'd also like to make this change, but it's (IMHO) too big
> > > a change to make for 3.4. I think we should make the change
> > > in master, and the next major release after 3.4 will then
> > > have it.
> >
> > What's the difference between 3.4 and any further release?
> > What makes 3.5 more likely to carry this change than 3.4? If
> > 3.2 was not suited to do this, I don't think any release
> > ever will be. 3.2 was a fresh start after more than 2 years,
> > and changing that default was too much for that?
> >
> > I must be missing some grand plot here.
>
> I don't think it's a grand plot. I just think we need to
> use tdbsam as a default, and it's too late in the change
> cycle to do this for 3.4.

Ok, this is the only thing, whether we are too late in the
release preparation phase with a pre-release (but not rc)
already out of the door. I can't judge if this change is
too big to enter after prerelease-stage. I still vote for
it to go into 3.4.

> Making this change in master means that we get more time +
> testing resource to make sure the changeover goes smoothly.

I think the main point here is the users / packagers.
According to Simo, Fedora uses tdbsam in the default smb.conf,
and I think Debian does the same. So these are already two
big distros without any problem.

I can't imagine what kind of special testing this change would
require us developers to do. But maybe I am too naive. :-)

So let's at least put this in master immediately.

And don't stop discussing this here...

Cheers - Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>  <obnox at samba.org>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9