tdbsam as default passdb backend in 3.4

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue May 26 18:27:12 GMT 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 08:13:11PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 11:04:30AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > I'd also like to make this change, but it's (IMHO) too big
> > a change to make for 3.4. I think we should make the change
> > in master, and the next major release after 3.4 will then
> > have it.
>
> What's the difference between 3.4 and any further release?
> What makes 3.5 more likely to carry this change than 3.4? If
> 3.2 was not suited to do this, I don't think any release
> ever will be. 3.2 was a fresh start after more than 2 years,
> and changing that default was too much for that?
>
> I must be missing some grand plot here.

I don't think it's a grand plot. I just think we need to
use tdbsam as a default, and it's too late in the change
cycle to do this for 3.4. Making this change in master
means that we get more time + testing resource to make
sure the changeover goes smoothly.

Nothing more than that (from me at least).

Jeremy