SMB static log file

Piotr Buliński bulinskp at iem.pw.edu.pl
Thu May 21 19:07:03 GMT 2009

Wiadomość napisana w dniu 2009-05-19, o godz. 10:50, przez Volker
Lendecke:

> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 04:01:00PM +0200, Piotr Buliński wrote:
>
>> Good thing about that is when user build samba with syslog support
>> (that probably mean, he want to use syslog) then messages go straight
>> to syslog. In other cases it could behave like now - write to some
>> hardcoded files - or write to stdout.
>
> The problem is that all distros will probably compile with
> syslog support, so even with "syslog = 0" we will end up
> with stuff in syslog. Not much, but that's just the opposite
> of what you are not happy with.

Yes, but then there is any control on logging process. If someone
doesn't want to have anything from samba in syslog, always could write:

!smbd,nmbd,winbindd
*.*     /dev/null

to syslog.conf.

Situation where there is no control over daemon creating any files
that are hardcoded sucks, because whatever I do, I always have /var/
log/samba directory in my filesystem, which I really doesn't want.

But this isn't the whole problem... I found that there is cores/
directory created under /var/log/samba/ which sucks even more, because
it is also hardcoded without any possibility to modify or turn off.

So it becomes a real challenge, to get rid of /var/log/samba from my
FS ;-)

I need to think more on this problem.
--
pb