openldap and samba 4

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Thu May 21 10:45:23 GMT 2009

grimstone wrote:
> root at r1:~# ldapsearch -H
> ldapi://%2Fusr%2Flocal%2Fsamba%2Fprivate%2Fldap%2Fldapi -X dn:samba-admin
> SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
> Please enter your password:
> ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Insufficient access (50)

What do you want to achieve with command-line option -X? That's supposed
to be the SASL authz-ID which AFAIK not supported anyway or likely
requires additional configuration in slapd. So this result looks
perfectly valid to me. And IMHO it's not relevant for running Samba4.

> root at r1:~# ldapsearch -H
> ldapi://%2Fusr%2Flocal%2Fsamba%2Fprivate%2Fldap%2Fldapi -U samba-admin
> SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
> Please enter your password:
> SASL username: samba-admin
> SASL SSF: 128
> SASL data security layer installed.

Looks good.

> # extended LDIF
> #
> # LDAPv3
> # base <> (default) with scope subtree
> # filter: (objectclass=*)
> # requesting: ALL
> #
>
> # search result
> search: 4
> result: 32 No such object

Looks also correct to me since you did not specify a search base (with
command-line option -b).

Ciao, Michael.