Failure to build master/Samba3

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon May 18 00:37:24 GMT 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-16 at 19:33 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 10:42:36PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > > You could get around that with --disable-fam (to ./configure)
> >
> > Perhaps this should be the default these days?
>
> Hmmm. I thought our policy would be to make use of what the
> system we compile on provides. And as your system offers
> libfam, why shouldn't we make use of it?

The reason I was thinking was to avoid the regular foot-shooting that
administrators seem to enjoy so much, when they enable every single
option 'because it might help', not knowing the FAM isn't the preferred
solution when inotify() is available.

> I tried to fix the static build of vfs_notify_fam with
> 31a2347a0af9a6f. Can you give it another try?

Oddly, it doesn't seem to have changed a thing.

I've been running:
make distclean && ./autogen.sh && ./config.abartlet && make
where config.abartlet is:

`dirname $0`/configure --enable-developer --disable-shared
--disable-shared-libs --prefix=/scratch/samba3

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.