read/write multiplexed support

Marcel Müller samba at maazl.de
Fri May 15 06:41:42 GMT 2009

Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> Windows servers only support the readMPX/writeMPX SMB calls over
> connectionless transport (direct IPX transport--which is not NWLINK).

Are you sure? I thought it was the other way around.
However, if readMPX is not supported readRAW is supported. (I think this
one is for connectionless transports.)

> The
> whole purpose these commands was to make optimal use of multiple transport
> level connections that were bound together.  Typically this would be
> multiple modem links between a remote client and a server.  MPX commands
> would have no real benefit over a single-path connection oriented transport.

As far as I know, the idea is to multiplex several commands through a
single connection. If you have parallel connections, read/write RAW
should be your friend.

I will have a look to the specs tomorrow.

Marcel