http://git.samba.org/?p=vl/samba.git; a=shortlog; h=refs/heads/struct_stat

Thu May 14 17:28:13 GMT 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 10:06:55AM -0700, Tim Prouty wrote:
> * Since the previous SMB_STRUCT_STAT allowed a system-specific stat
> struct, additional information could be passed around in
> SMB_STRUCT_STAT with only the vfs modules needing to know about it.
> On OneFS, for example, SMB_VFS_FILE_ID_CREATE takes an SMB_STRUCT_STAT
> and uses the system-specific st_snapid field to fill in the
> file_id.extid.  The quick solution is to just add an additional field
> to the stat_ex struct in this case.  Are there other dependencies on
> SMB_STRUCT_STAT containing additional info?

If we do the stat_ex thing, we're definitely free to just
extend it. I also considered to make it an opaque struct
that is talloc'ed, but that change seemed a bit too large as
a first step.

> * I love patch 2 :).

:-)

> >Ah, sorry, forgot: I'd like to see this in 3.4 :-)
>
> * A change of this scope seems too large to take this late in 3.4.  My
> vote is for it to go into master.

Well, I don't really have a good technical argument for
getting it into 3.4. My only point is that I will definitely
have to maintain a 3.4 with that patch for at least a few
years. I can certainly do that, but I would prefer to not
having a patch of that size in a custom branch :-)

Volker