Problems compiling samba3 from 3.4.0pre1

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Thu May 14 08:05:34 GMT 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 09:35:06AM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 07:21:18AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > Quoting Christian Perrier (bubulle at debian.org):

> > I'm worried that no followup happened on this one and 3.4.0-pre2 is
> > being prepared....

> > Michael, this is why I'm cc'ing you as that seems to be a build
> > infrastructure problem (Steve Langasek told me "upstream bug" and
> > something about missing something with zlib).

> > So, I really apologize to insist but is there a chance that someone
> > looks at this?

> What is the exact platform we need to install to reproduce
> this?

The failure is only reproducible when linking libsmbclient with -Wl,-z,defs
(or equivalent).  We have a patch in the Debian package which does this.

The failure is still an upstream issue, we just have the extra flag set so
that this is handled as a build-time failure instead of a run-time failure.
You can still see the problem on a Linux system by running 'ldd -d -r
/path/to/libsmbclient.so' on a resulting build; those undefined symbols will
cause libsmbclient to fail to load at run time, unless the calling
application happens to already be linked against libz.

It would be good to make this flag an upstream default when linking shared
libraries (as opposed to "DSO"s) - that probably means splitting out
separate SHLD_DSO and SHLD_LIB (?) variables in configure.in/Makefile.in.